Thursday, February 4, 2010

Burnout Prevention 101

So, it's 9:46pm. It's been a full day and a full week.

I met with a new client on Monday.

The Shake Off had it's finale on Tuesday night. (These women rocked it by the way. "I have a totally new morning routine!" said one participant about her new commitment to morning stretching. Others increased their exercise, gave their afternoon snack a makeover and carved out more time for creativity.)

Today I worked a full day with my teens, had a conference call in the afternoon,  and then scurried home to make a quick dinner before seeing evening clients.

Now weave wedding planning through all of this.

I am tired.

One of the several projects that I am working on right now is an exciting workshop to be held at Fit 4 Life on February 15th.

The title?

Burnout Prevention 101: A workshop for educators and non-profit professionals



I think it might be time to start listening to my own advice and stop burning the candle at both ends.

I am really excited about this workshop though, so I'll steal a few more minutes to tell you about it.

We have designed this workshop especially for teachers, administrators and non-profit professionals.

Having worked in the NYC school system and in non-profits for the past ten years, I know how tough this field is.

The problems are complex and often unsolvable.  The stress is high and the resources to help are few. Add to that that people who go into "caring professions" tend to put others needs before their own, and you have the recipe for burnout. In this field, the only way to last is by becoming an expert care-taker for yourself. You can only give fully to others, when you have taken care of yourself first.

In Burnout Prevention 101  I'm going to arm participants with valuable tools to increase energy, manage stress, and add more fun into the day. Participants will:
✔  Get easy to follow meal and snack recipes that will give energy all day long.
✔  Participate in a fun, stress melting fitness class.
✔  Discover the hidden causes of stress.
✔  Learn which common foods can actually exacerbate your stress.
✔  Learn the top 5 stress-reducing stretches for the workplace.
✔  Practice easy fool proof techniques to help you manage stress at work and at home.

For all the details and to register click HERE!

Please also feel free to contact me with any questions.

For those of you that can't attend, I promise to include little snippets from the workshop in future posts.

In the meantime, here are my top 5 ways to unwind after a stressful day:

5. Watch a fluffy TV program
4.  Cook a nice meal
3. Take a bath
2. Have a glass of wine (red, and in moderation of course)
1. Go to a yoga class or to the gym (especially the steam room!)


What are your top 5 ways? Post 'em as a comment so others can benefit from your wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment